2 sugar pumpkins or ~2 ¼ cups pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch ginger root or 1 Tbsp ginger puree
2 cups veggie stock
1 cup light coconut milk
2 Tbsp maple syrup, agave nectar or honey
¼ tsp each of sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
KALE SESAME TOPPING
1 cup roughly chopped kale
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp raw sesame seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
Directions for KALE-SESAME TOPPING
- In a small pan over medium heat, dry toast sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until slightly golden brown. Be careful as they can burn quickly. Remove roasted seeds from pan and set aside.
- To the still-hot pan, add olive oil and and sauté garlic until golden brown – about 2 minutes.
- Add kale and toss, then add a pinch of salt and cover to steam.
- Cook for another few minutes until kale is wilted.
- Add sesame seeds back in, toss and set aside.
Directions for SOUP
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the tops of two sugar pumpkins, cut in half and scrape out seeds.
- Brush the flesh with oil and place face down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel away skin and cube pumpkin roughly.
- In a large saucepan, fry shallots, garlic, and ginger in oil on medium-low. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, and pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes and taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Blend soup to a puree.
10. Serve in bowls with Kale-Sesame topping as garnish.